Quake Live update roundup Jan-Nov 10
Here it is: the update roundup.
I will try to explain and highlight what changed in the past year, besides the fact Quake Live went out of beta of course!
Hopefully you will find this roundup useful and discover new things that were put in the game.
The alias system is something a lot of us were waiting for for a long time. If you haven’t heard of the alias system or you don’t know what it is, you might find it interesting to continue reading: an alias system allow you to create a chain of commands and use it in various ways. An very simple example is /alias aDropFlag “say_team I’m dropping the flag; dropflag” You can now bind aDropFlag to a button and use it as if it was a command: /bind p aDropFlag will now tell your team you are dropping the flag while dropping it at the same time. What is useful now is that you can write your own toggles by creating 2 aliases of the same name but putting + (pushing the button) and – (releasing the button) in front of the alias name.
You are now able to see someone’s health by putting your crosshair over them, so you won’t have to look at the team overlay anymore. This only works for teammembers that are in your line of sight. Another handy cvar is cg_drawFriend 1 which allows you to see your teammates’ friend icons anywhere on the map, even through the walls.
All the mapnames changed
Id Software changed all the mapnames to the real name of the map. For example, “qzdm6” is now simply called “campgrounds“. I know this will help a lot of newbies to vote for maps and remember mapnames.
All servers now have a voteable teamsize. Every server has a fixed client size: 16 players can connect to the server anytime, but depending on teamsize, only a few can play. This will allow people to play maps more suitable for a smaller teamsize while specs can jump in straight away if another player drops.
It is now possible to register clans and use a unique clantag that can’t be used by people who are not added to the roster. The option to start clans is only available for Premium or Pro subscribers though, Standard members can still join 1 clan while Premium or Pro subscribers can join more than 1.
Quake Live now supports chat tokens! Everyone knows how handy these are. You can now tell your teammates your health, armor and ammo status by binding it to a button: bind p “say Health #h – Armor #a – Weapon #w;”
- #h – Current health value
- #a – Current armor value
- #w – Current weapon & ammo count
- ## – To print the character ‘#’
- Crosshairs now respect aspect ratio
- Battlesuit takes splash damage! (but it’s still reduced by 75%)
- You can autocomplete demonames if you start the line with /demo
- Quad has been reduced from 4x damage to 3x damage
- There is a ‘find’ command (case-sensitive) to search the console history
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
- InFerNo on Holysh1t “Moment of Fame” #2
- IconoDelPecado on Holysh1t “Moment of Fame” #2
- Lashknife on First screen of the Quake Live Steam client
- Lashknife on Quake Live gameplay update released
- How to open the console in Quake Live? | Holysh1t.net on Customizing your Quake Live config
#i + #l is what we need! o/