The Railgun is not just a very lethal, key weapon in Quake Live, it can also bring shiny color effects to the screen. Most players won’t care and use the default settings, but some like to tweak it just perfect to their likings.
There are two styles to the railgun, set using the cvar cg_railstyle. For the new style, which gives a very nice swirl effect around the beam, set it to 0. For the old style, a beam with disc elements in it, set it to 1.
Depending on the cg_railstyle 0/1 value, several other cvars come into play and can give extra graphical effects:
- color1 (default 2, values 1 to 7) represents the color of the beam.
- color2 (default 7, values 1 to 7) represents the color of the effect (swirl or discs).
- r_railcorewidth (default 6) represents the thickness of the beam in a rail. Applies to old (1) and new (0) style.
- r_railwidth (default 16) represents the size of the discs when cg_railstyle is set to 1.
- r_railsegmentlength (default 32) represents the length of the parts between discs when cg_railstyle is set to 1.
Also available, and applies to both styles, is the cvar cg_railtrailtime (default 400) which represents the amount of time before a railbeam (+ effect) fades out from screen. Some players like this very short to remove clutter. Others like this to be 1500 (rail reload time) so they can exactly determine when the opponent will have a new shot available on the moment the previous beam is completely faded out.
For fun, I suggest you mess around with the values to create ultra thin with extra big discs, or swirly effects in all kinds of colors or just have massive beams that last 3 seconds (cg_railtrailtime 3000) for all players all over the map 🙂
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
- InFerNo on Holysh1t “Moment of Fame” #2
- IconoDelPecado on Holysh1t “Moment of Fame” #2
- Lashknife on First screen of the Quake Live Steam client
- Lashknife on Quake Live gameplay update released
- How to open the console in Quake Live? | Holysh1t.net on Customizing your Quake Live config
seta r_railWidth “16”
seta r_railCoreWidth “1”
seta r_railSegmentLength “64”
and your colors? 🙂
Is there a way to set rail opacity? I’d love to havve the traditional helix trail but at a lower opacity as to be a good balance between visibility (the clutter comment) and nice visuals.
I’d like a white solid beam with a blue spiral (Q2 style)
How do I get this?
cg_oldrail 1 (to get the spiral)
color1 7 (beam in white)
color2 4 (swirl in blue)
r_railcorewidth 6 (default width of the beam) I suggest 4 for even more solid but thinner beam.
hello guys…im still a learner about the cool settings at quake live.
can somebody teach me the step-by-step on how to do this? please? i couldn’t figure it out from reading this article.
set r_railwidth “4”
set r_railcorewidth “18”
set r_railsegmentlength “0.1”
set cg_oldrail “1”
main colour Red
Middle colour white
For some reason I can’t set cg_oldrail to any value. Somebody help please.
That variable doesn’t exist anymore, this is replaced by cg_railstyle or something 🙂
How do you get the first or the second image ?